15

    When Charlize returned home with Kwanele and Stephen the following day, Ma Gugu and Mbali were there waiting on the stoep wanting to know all the details about how they got rid of the attackers.

    Charlize sat down by the bench listening to everyone’s opinions about the events from the night before ranging from witchcrafts to spirits of dead ancestors. She closed her eyes, taking in South Africa’s heat and the dry scent of geraniums from the garden.

    Stephen was still explaining to Mbali and Kwanele how Nkulunkulu protected the farm when Ma Gugu sat down by Charlize’s side.

    – “Lizzie. Later, I wanna hear all about your dinner with that smart man.”

    Charlize opened her eyes and laughed. “There’s nothing to talk about, Ma. It’s just work and he’s just a great scientist who’s here to advise our Institute.”

    – “Lizzie. what’s wrong with you? Shouldn’t you be thinking of marriage like—”

    – “Like a good Afrikaner girl?”

    – “Yes. Like any well-raised and decent girls. At least, let your suitors think they have a chance.”

    Charlize laughed harder.

    – “By the way, Miss Dane Janssen called this morning. She asked if I can let Clark help her with some errands. I said yes since they’re helping out Lindiwe by hiring her. I hope you don’t mind.”

    – “A Sunday? Didn’t you give him Sunday off?”

    – “I did. I told him but he didn’t mind.”

    Charlize looked puzzled. “What kind of errands?”

    – “She didn’t say. She just said some errands in town.”

    – “I can’t believe this.” said Charlize smiling, “Dane is going shopping with a domestic? Knowing her, she wouldn’t want to be seen with a queen’s butler at her side.”

    Ma Gugu looked down. “Clark’s different.”

    – “How? Oh and by the way, I haven’t met him yet.”

    – “You’ll see him on Monday but there’s something else—”

    – “What?”

    – “This morning, after I talked to Miss Dane, I asked to talk to Lindiwe and she told me Clark gave her some money—”

    – “Well, she helped him. That’s pretty normal—”

    – “10,000 rands.”

    Charlize turned her head. “10,000 rands? Where did he get that kind of money?”

    Ma Gugu wringed her fingers. “That’s the strange thing. He didn’t have anything on him when she found him. I gave him 200 rands so he can buy some toiletries and that same day he just give away 10,000 rands?”

    Charlize became serious. “Do you think he’s a criminal?”

    – “No, I don’t think so. I’m never wrong with people. Kwanele, Stephen, Lindiwe, they all like him. Even Miss Dane who only saw him for a few minutes and her sister Miss Zoe had already asked me if he could help her with her soirée next week.”

    Charlize couldn’t help laughing. “Okay, I have to see who you’ve hired.”

    Charlize had barely finished her sentence when a farm truck drove up the driveway cautiously and stopped in front of them. A very attractive Indian girl was at the wheel.

    – “Hi, sorry to bother you. Do you have a Clark working here?”

    Charlize and Ma Gugu stood up.

    – “Yes, we do.” said Charlize.

    – “Oh, thanks God. I’ve been knocking on doors all morning.”

    The girl got out of the truck carrying a covered dish. She was smiling.

    – “Is he here? Could I see him for a few minutes?”

    Ma Gugu was still admiring the girl in men’s baggy clothes, her long curly black hair flowing down from a bush hat.

    – “He’s not here at the moment. He’s in town helping one of my friends.” said Charlize.

    The girl looked disappointed. She looked down at her dish then handed it to Ma Gugu.

    – “Could you give this to him? It’s an Indian dish. I’m sure he will enjoy it. Tell him it’s from Amina and that I cooked it myself.”

    – “I’ll let him know.” said Ma Gugu taking the dish.

    The girl flashed another enticing smile. “Thanks.”

    – “Are you a friend of his?” said Charlize.

    The girl was already back inside her farm truck, engine running.

    – “We met yesterday at the library where I work. He helped me pick a winning scratch-off ticket. 20,000 rands.”

    The girl waved goodbye and drove away. Charlize watched the farm truck rounded the gate and for a split second, for some unexplainable reasons, she felt a stab of jealousy. She looked at Ma Gugu and the dish in her hands.

    – “Ma, now I really want to see who you’ve hired.”